ASA Youth Academy
2018 - 2019
MISSION: To promote holistic player development over team development through a child-centered environment during the most the key developmental window.
WHY: The purpose is to increase player enjoyment, player retention, and improve the quality of soccer player developing throughout the state
- Focus on the holistic development of each player
- Reduce the emphasis on players and coaches to earn results
WHEN: Fall 2018 - Spring of 2019 seasons
WHAT is an Academy - a format that places all players within an age group or similar age groups into a “Pool” instead of teams. Within the pool players train together in a player-centered environment, following a developmentally appropriate curriculum, and form teams for games. Coaches place each player onto the developmentally appropriate team for each play date. Easy movement between teams gives coaches the opportunity to place each player into an optimal development environment in the game setting.
WHO: Clubs/associations must complete the application and be accepted to participate. Clubs/associations are reviewed annually for acceptance into the program. The players will combine two birth years for players to be able to play up and down one year. More importantly, the goal is to provide a wider range developmental abilities thus helping players find developmentally appropriate learning opportunities.
- 2008 Birth Year - 11 and under
- 2009 Birth Year - 10 and under
- 2010 Birth Year – 9 and under
12U AGE GROUP
- Teams will be put in the Alabama State League (so all participants are better prepared for Region competition)
- Rosters will be increased for easy mobility of players from one roster to another based on needs of the team and competition level.
- Game day rosters will be maxed at 16 players to adjust for freedom of movement between games if needed. You can choose any player from your player pool for the game day roster.
In an effort to make participation in the Academy affordable we are reducing costs:
Per Player Fee - $18
Academy Affiliation Fee replaced with a Per Team Fee - $50.
Covers administrative and scheduling processes. Capped at $450 per club each year. Ex: a club entering 10 or more teams will only pay $450
Fall Academy Showcase - $100 per team
Spring Academy Showcase - $100 per team
Showcase events are a requirement - if your numbers are lower than what are registered for the full season please contact email@example.com.
ASA will take over the scheduling process to ensure a minimum number of games per team (6 per season).
Scheduling Goal: “Academy districts” where clubs/teams within each district play each other in a home and away schedule where possible:
North District - Decatur, Gadsden, Huntsville
North Central District - Alabaster, Birmingham, Tuscaloosa
South Central District - Auburn, Montgomery, Opelika
South District - Daphne, Fairhope, Mobile, Orange Beach, Perdido
Scheduling Procedures: With this format we will follow similar scheduling procedures currently in place for Alabama State League:
- July 25th- Deadline Academy registration. Teams entered into each age group by gender and competition level (Most Competitive, Very Competitive, Competitive, or Least Competitive. A Description of each level will be provided to aid clubs in appropriate placement). ASA groups teams by location and competitive level to create Groups for scheduling. Each team in the group will play a home & away with all teams in their respective group.
- August 7th - Academy Scheduling begins. Clubs will have been given full ASL schedule to use and schedule around.
- August 15th - Deadline for Academy Home games to be scheduled. Any games not scheduled by this date will be scheduled by ASA. ASA will post completed schedule online and will forward schedule to Referee assignor so each game has officials assigned.
- August 31st - Academy play begins
Programs will have freedom to schedule additional games and play dates.
Any team that forfeits a game will be invoiced for $400 as part of the normal Bond put forth by clubs for ASL.
Will be scheduled similarly to ASL.
Fees for a 7v7 game are $33
Fees for a 9v9 game are $79 (3 refs).
Clubs will be invoiced for their home games at regular intervals (monthly) throughout the season.
Any game/playdate scheduled by the club outside of those scheduled through ASA will be handled as follows:
- Clubs submit the Academy Playdate Schedule Request form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ASA will approve (or deny) the request and send to the Referee assignor
- The Referee Assignor will work to fill the request based on referee availability
NOTE: You can choose to only have 1 referee for 9v9 games on these playdates to save on costs.
Only players registered through the ASA Academy will be eligible to participate in scheduled games. Each player must have a player card that is presented to the referees at the time of check in for each game.
Creating Optimal Development Environments
The challenge ahead of all Academy participants to create Optimal Development Environments that efficiently, effectively, and holistically develop all of our youth players throughout the state requires the following:
- Competitive score-lines - 3 or more goal separation in the final result reflects an inappropriate matchup. Contingency plans must be enacted in these situations.
- Both teams clearly attempting to execute soccer-specific player actions and and US Soccer’s Key Qualities of a player.
- Adverse opportunities to respond to and overcome. Ex: Goals scored against & referee mistakes
- Balanced combination of support, demand, and teaching from coaches
- Balanced combination of support from parents, guardians, and spectators
- Collaborative effort between opposing coaches to solve non-competitive matchups. Examples: Putting an additional player onto the field for the team losing (do not take players off of the field. Providing the winning team with a challenge to overcome like playing back to the goalkeeper before going forward
For more information on how to create Optimal Development Environments, click here
Players will be entered into the pool from Assessments/Evaluations rather than “Tryouts”
ASA Youth Academy Official Rules - Click here
Academy Game Reschedule - Click here