Alabama Soccer Association's Olympic Development Program identifies, trains, and provides opportunities for the the top level player within our state to compete at the region and national level.
Through the years, clubs have become modern and sophisticated, with year-round programming circulating around player development. The Olympic Development Program acts as a supplement, giving elite players opportunities to play with and against the best, while providing them exposure at the regional, national, and international levels.
ASA State Staff is comprised of coaches at the club, high school, and college levels. All coaches are nationally licensed, committed to teaching the Region 3 Style-of-Play, and to the development of each player.
Below are the following ways players will be identified and invited to the program
- Tryouts – There will be open tryouts in November & December and at the Technical Director's discretion.
- State team members from the previous season will automatically be invited into the State Pool.
- The players who have been identified through the scouting system will be invited into the State Pool.
- The youngest age groups, 9-12 year olds, are encouraged to participate in the Elite Player Development Program for the spring season.
The above groups will comprise a squad of players called the ‘State Pool’. The State Pool phase will take place in the Winter. This phase will consist of approximately 2-6 training & match opportunities. Once a player is invited into the State Pool, that player is eligible and strongly encouraged to attend all of the training events. The main training events are called State Pool Training Events and will be held in a central location. All State Pool players are encouraged to attend these events so that the entire pool may be evaluated by the State Staff.
Players are evaluated using the ODP Style of Play. This method of playing the game teach purposeful possession with each position having a specific role to perform. To learn more about this way of playing click here.
Alabama Soccer Association understands that conflicts will arise. Players must register and attend at least one session to be considered for the State Team. After the State Pool training sessions/events, about 25-30 players for the older age groups will be selected in each age group to represent the ‘State Team’. For any age group where there is a deep pool of talent, and especially the younger age groups (2004s, 2005s, & 2006s), there may be two or three teams. For the older age groups, the Technical Director may choose to also select a 2nd team, or 'Y State Team' that will consist of younger players born in the latter half of the ODP year (July-December).
For the ODP Calendar, please click here.
For a simple breakdown of the remaining costs for the 2017-2018 season CLICK HERE
The State Team(s) will train/compete from January through June, including an opportunity for at least one Sub-Regional event.
In March, there is a possibility for some age groups to participate in an international trip.
In June, the players will participate in the Mini-Camp in preparation for the Region Trials.
The pinnacle for the ODP Season is to represent the state of Alabama at the ODP Region 3 Trials in July.
9-12 YEAR OLD AGE GROUPS
Alabama Soccer Association offers a program to our youngest age groups, the Elite Player Development program. EPD gets the younger players introduced to the state's programing and staff. The 9-12 year olds will have a one-day tryout in November and will also participate in the other tryout dates in December. Furthermore, an additional team could be formed for some players that are "late bloomers." The tryout could consist of a weekend event, where players are placed on ‘teams’ and participate in games. Each ‘team’ has an adjunct staff coach which manages the group throughout the weekend. State Staff will observe and evaluate players, gaining input from the adjunct staff as well.
- The state reserves the right to add or release players at any time.
- Click here for calendar for the specificity of events held and registration deadlines.
- Click here for more information on the process/evaluation
- AHSAA players are allowed one "evaluation" per month based on AHSAA rules during their high school season. For clarification, please contact AHSAA for questions. Players interested in participating in ODP full-time during the spring season instead of playing high school soccer should see Alabama Elite.
- Players that reside in border states (FL, GA, TN, MS) that wish to participate in ASA ODP must first be released by the state association in which they reside. Please contact that state association for official protocol.