USYS ODP PHILOSOPHY:
To identify players of the highest caliber on a continuing and consistent basis, which will lead to increased success for the U.S. National Teams in the international arena.
Alabama ODP Objectives:
Alabama Soccer Association’s Olympic Development Program is an identification and training program that provides exclusive opportunities for players to reach the next level of play.
Players participating in ODP have the chance to
- Be invited to represent Alabama ODP on State Teams at events in our Region
- Earn selection to the South Region ODP ID Camp
- Be scouted by professional clubs from MLS, US National Team Scouts
- Work with some of the top coaches in the State & college coaches
WHO IS ODP FOR: This season players born in the following age groups are eligible for ODP:
1/1/2009 – 12/31/2009
1/1/2008 – 12/31/2008
1/1/2007 – 12/31/2007
1/1/2006 – 12/31/2006
1/1/2005 – 12/31/2005
1/1/2004 – 12/31/2004
- Eligible players include any player registered as an Alabama Soccer Association member in the above age groups
- Non-ASA members can also participate by paying an additional $25 fee to cover insurance.
- Players aged 9-11 years old, are encouraged to participate in our Youth Development Program (YDP) the precursor and preporatory program for ODP
HOW DOES ODP WORK:
- Players first register for the 2020 -2021 ODP Program – CLICK HERE
- Attend an Alabama ODP ID & Training Center for assessment to make the Age Group Pool.
- Players who make the pool will receive an email invitation to attend future ID & Training Centers & order the ODP Training & Match Uniforms.
- Players not currently up to the required standard for the respective Age Group Pool will be directed back to their club for training via email. These players are encouraged to continue working on their game in their home environment for several months before attempting to try-out for ODP again.
- Age Group Pool players are encouraged to attend as many ID & Training Centers as possible so coaches can guide development and track the player’s progress.
- Players in the Age Group Pool compete for selection to
- State Team events – Sub-regionals, ID Combines, etc.
- Invitation to the South Region ID Camp
SOUTH REGION ODP ID CAMP
Players identified by coaches and scouts as those warranting invitation to the South Region ODP ID Camp receive invitations from US Youth Soccer in late Spring to attend the summer camp. At camp the top 60-100 players from the states within our region compete to make the Regional Pool for each age group. Players making these pools are then eligible to receive invitations to the below events in the following seasonal year:
- ODP Inter-regionals
- USYS National ODP Training Camp
- USYS National Team & International Trips
- Generation Adidas Showcase Event
WHAT DO COACHES AND SCOUTS LOOK FOR?
Players are evaluated based on their performance in the Key Qualities of a US Soccer Player and the Position Specific Roles. Alabama ODP ID Center’s training sessions teach a style of play focused on expressing these Key Qualities through a purposeful possession approach to playing the game. To learn more about this way of playing click here.
Our Alabama ODP Scouting & Coaching Staff is comprised of coaches at the club and college levels who are nationally licensed, skilled evaluators of talent who are committed to the development of each player and the game of soccer.
WHEN & WHERE DO EVENTS TAKE PLACE:
CLICK HERE for the 2019 – 2020 ODP Calendar.
WHAT DOES THE PROGRAM COST?
CLICK HERE to see a breakdown of the estimated yearly cost to participate. Program fees cover all administrative & logisitical items needed to run the program.
Scholarships are available to those qualifying and in need.
Alabama Soccer Association understands that conflicts will arise. Players must register for each State ID Center. For Showcase Events, 14-22 players for each age groups will be selected to represent Alabama as a ‘State Team’. For any age group where there is a deep pool of talent, and especially the younger age groups there may be more than one team.
- Players may be identified by official Alabama ODP Scouts at Alabama State League games and Mid-South Conference games and be directly invited to participate in ODP. Note: Players should not rely on the scouting system to be identified. We simply cannot be at every State League game, but you never know who is watching so perform at your best!
- The state reserves the right to add or release players at any time.
- AHSAA players are allowed one “evaluation” per month based on AHSAA rules during their high school season. For clarification, please contact AHSAA for questions. Players interested in participating in ODP full-time during the spring season instead of playing high school soccer should see Alabama Elite.
- Players that reside in border states (FL, GA, TN, MS) may participate in ASA ODP with permission from their home State Soccer Association.