USYS ODP PHILOSOPHY:
To identify players of the highest caliber on a continuing and consistent basis, which will lead to increased success for the U.S. National Teams in the international arena.
Alabama ODP Objectives:
Alabama Soccer Association’s Olympic Development Program identifies, trains, and provides opportunities for the top level players and those players striving to reach elite levels to progress up the pathway to the highest level of play. Players participating in Alabama ODP compete for a personal invitation to the USYS Regional Invitational Identification Camp held each summer for the top players in our Region. Individual players will receive direct invitations from the Region to attend the camp. Additional opportunities to be invited to events like Generation Adidas Events are also possible.
ODP acts as a supplement to club soccer, giving players opportunities to play with and against the best, while providing them exposure at the regional, national, and even international levels.
HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK?
WHO IS ODP FOR: Players born in the following age groups are eligible for ODP this season:
|AL ODP||AGE GROUP||BORN BETWEEN|
|2009||1/1/2009 – 12/31/2009|
|2008||1/1/2008 – 12/31/2008|
|2007||1/1/2007 – 12/31/2007|
|2006||1/1/2006 – 12/31/2006|
|2005||1/1/2005 – 12/31/2005|
|2004||1/1/2004 – 12/31/2004|
*Players aged 9-11 years old, are encouraged to participate in our Youth Development Program (YDP) the precursor and preporatory program for ODP.
HOW ARE PLAYERS IDENTIFIED: The ODP Pathway
STEP 1: Register – CLICK HERE – for the ODP Program for this seasonal year – Eligible players include any player registered as an Alabama Soccer Association member in the above age groups. Once a player is registered they may be identified/evaluated in the following ways:
- State ODP ID & Training Centers – attending as many as possible to give you the best chance of being identified, so staff can track progress of a player, and to receive training in the Key Qualities of a US Soccer Player/Positional Specific Profiles! This is the best way to be identified for Alabama ODP.
- State Scouting Network – players may be identified by Official Alabama ODP Scouts at State League games and Mid-South Conference games to be directly invited to participate in Showcase Events or the ODP Regional Invitational Identification Camp. Note: Players should not rely on the scouting system to be identified. We simply cannot be at every State League game, but you never know who is watching so perform at your best!
STEP 2: Players identified by State ODP Scouts & Coaches work to receive invitations from Alabama ODP to participate on State Teams at Sub-Regional Events – Showcase-like events where our State Teams play against other State’s Teams in highly competitive environments. State ODP Programs use Sub-Regionals to identify and evaluate players for selection to future events. US Soccer Scouts, MLS, and other professional leagues may be in attendance at select events.
STEP 3: Players identified at ODP ID & Training Centers & ODP Sub-Regional Events receive invitations from the Region to attend the USYS Regional Invitational Identification Camps.
From here, players work toward the next step – making the age group Region Training Pools. Players making these pools are then eligible to receive invitations to:
- National ODP Inter-Regional Event
- USYS National ODP Training Camp
- USYS National Team & International Trips
- Generation Adidas Showcase Event
- Age groups, location, and competitions TBD
*NOTE: The above 3 step pathway represents a typical experience of a high-level player. Players may be scouted directly into the National Training Camp from any event throughout the USYS ODP Cycle.
WHAT DO COACHES AND SCOUTS LOOK FOR?
Players are evaluated based on their performance in the Key Qualities of a US Soccer Player and the Position Specific Roles. Alabama ODP ID Center’s training sessions teach a style of play focused on expressing these Key Qualities through a purposeful possession approach to playing the game. To learn more about this way of playing click here.
Our Alabama ODP Scouting & Coaching Staff is comprised of coaches at the club and college levels who are nationally licensed, skilled evaluators of talent who are committed to the development of each player and the game of soccer.
WHEN & WHERE DO EVENTS TAKE PLACE:
CLICK HERE for the 2019 – 2020 ODP Calendar.
WHAT DOES THE PROGRAM COST?
CLICK HERE to see a breakdown of the estimated yearly cost to participate. Program fees cover all administrative & logisitical items needed to run the program.
Scholarships are available to those qualifying and in need.
Alabama Soccer Association understands that conflicts will arise. Players must register for each State ID Center. For Showcase Events, 14-22 players for each age groups will be selected to represent Alabama as a ‘State Team’. For any age group where there is a deep pool of talent, and especially the younger age groups there may be more than one team.
- The state reserves the right to add or release players at any time.
- AHSAA players are allowed one “evaluation” per month based on AHSAA rules during their high school season. For clarification, please contact AHSAA for questions. Players interested in participating in ODP full-time during the spring season instead of playing high school soccer should see Alabama Elite.
- Players that reside in border states (FL, GA, TN, MS) may participate in ASA ODP with permission from their home State Soccer Association.